Friday, March 18, 2011

God's "Special Gift"

Kirsten loves soccer

Your daughter may never walk, she will likely be severely mentally challenged and she will struggle with obesity... Her whole life!  
They say God will never give you anything you can't handle.  Not very comforting to parents who have just received devastating news from the doctor who has diagnosed their brand new baby with Prader-Willi Syndrome... Or any other disabling birth defect. It also doesn't help as you work the phones looking for ongoing medical, therapeutic and financial support. Nor does it help as you lay awake at night worrying about your child who is struggling to survive. New challenges, new fears... And new strength!
What had started out, in my mind (and believe me, thats a scary place), as a post on behavior as it is influenced by our environment... Has changed direction today due to inspiration from a couple of "Moms Blogs" that I read. They reminded me of a "technique" of sorts, that has become a routine for me and was created through my experience, and those things that have been an influence on me.  
It is so simple, common sense really, but many of us overlook or forget this one strategy that can help almost anyone.  I had to re-learn it as a member of a Toastmasters club, but it has so much more adaptability to everything we do.  The Toastmasters club mission statement (what should be part of our child rearing focus) says it all: 
The mission of a Toastmasters club (or our home) is to 
provide a mutually supportive and positive learning 
environment in which every individual member has 
the opportunity to develop oral communication 
and leadership skills, which in turn foster 
self-confidence and personal growth.

A positive and supportive attitude is contagious, and can change lives! What doesn't reach out and grab you in this mission statement, does hit home with the Toastmasters Club experience. Just for starters, every individuals speech is evaluated orally by a peer, focusing on the individuals strengths and also providing a few suggestions for growth, but always in a positive and supportive manner. And this is just the tip of the iceberg! A great positive learning experience for anyone that can help in all aspects of your life.
Imagine if we didn't accept that our children had limitations. Because they don’t! Imagine if we didn't allow the doctors to label our children and put them in a one size fits all box. The box doesn’t exist! Imagine if our children, who look to us for guidance, reassurance and support, believed in themselves... Just as we believe in them!
They say God doesn’t give us anything we can’t handle... But they also say that God provides everything we need. Perhaps God loved my family so much, that he saw the need to send Kirsten to help us find our way home.  Kirsten was such a blessing for me and my family... And I couldn’t imagine life without her smile, her laugh, her habits, her routines and her love. She is surprising us every day with her accomplishments. She is perfect in every way, because God doesn’t make mistakes!
We are all God’s children and some of us are extra “Special”.  Treat your extra “Special” children as the “Special Gifts” from God that they are, full of potential and love, and God will take care of their... “Special Needs”.



As I said, God provides everything we need.  When it comes to nature, natural, my family, and especially my little girl who has Prader-Willi Syndrome, I trust Shaklee products to give me added hope for the future.


Terry Guinn, A Healthier You Too


Treat your family to the quality products they deserve. Shaklee products are always safealways work, and are always green. If you would like more information about Shaklee products, please contact me, Terry Guinn, Shaklee Independent Distributor, through my website at  www.ahealthieryoutoo.com or if you would like to checkout the products for yourself, go to my Shaklee page at  www.ahealthieryoutoo.myshaklee.com 


Shakleebaby & Shakleekids

3 comments:

  1. When I had Bryce that's just what I was told, "god will only give you what you can handle" I thought "What a Joke!" and I cried and I cried and I cried. I have an Aunt who is a Catholic Nun, working under the Pope. She talked to me and it went in one ear and out the other. I didn't know I was meant to be his Mom until he was about 8 years old and I had a break down in front of my dad. My Dad of all people put me in my place.He actually told me off and yelled at me to stop feeling sorry for myself. He didn't know it then but it stuck. I then realized, looking back...I was trained in CPR and to give meds and had a job working with mentally handicap adults for 2 years before I had Bryce. (coincidence?) and when Bryce had his first seizor I knew what to do. Had nutrition classes and cooked calorie wise meals for the residents I took care of. And I have a sense of humor to top it all off. So I guess that is right, God only gives you what you can handle but it's a lesson to be learned and most don't realize it. We are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this line.... I may have to steal it! (with credit, of course) Excellent!

    "Imagine if we didn't accept that our children had limitations. Because they don’t! Imagine if we didn't allow the doctors to label our children and put them in a one size fits all box. The box doesn’t exist! Imagine if our children, who look to us for guidance, reassurance and support, believed in themselves... Just as we believe in them!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry,

    This is just so beautiful. I believe our son also helps us "to find our way home" Such moving words, thank you.

    ReplyDelete