Tuesday, April 20, 2010

With a Real Job, You Don't Have to Weight!

Unemployment... A great start to a weight loss program! Although I wouldn’t recommend quitting your job as a first step to your diet, it does give you more time to focus on a healthy diet and more time to exercise (until the money runs out).


Are you working long hours and putting on weight because your eating a lot of restaurant food, drinking flavored coffees or soda and struggling to find time for a good exercise program? Chances are that those long hours are a result in some part of a poor diet and a lack of proper exercise. I should know because I was there. About five months ago I lost my job after twenty three years, that after spending about five months of the last seven months traveling and eating out quite often.


Since beginning unemployment, I have discovered a healthier lifestyle that has not only helped me lose some weight, but has also contributed to the health & well being of my family. It has not been easy to make changes in our home and I have not changed things so drastically that my wife and kids have mutinied. We are slowly turning this ship around.


The need to turn things around was a necessity due to the special needs of our six year old who has Prader-Willi Syndrome (PWS). The problems associated with this syndrome, including weight gain, were beginning to rear their ugly heads over the past year or so and the most prevalent problem associated with PWS is an insatiable appetite complicated by a low sensitivity to pain. My daughter at six knows the importance of eating healthy, but driven by hunger in the absence of healthy choices and controls in place is at risk of extreme obesity.


That being said, I am happy to say that because of our new found routines and healthier food choices, we have both lost a little weight and she has cut 50 points off her cholesterol level.


How did we do it? One change includes lots of fruits and vegetables. Almost every dinner meal is 50 to 75% vegetable. A steamed broccoli, cauliflower, green bean, carrot, turnip and snow peas mix is our favorite (the leftovers, including the vegitable water/juices mix, go into a healthy soup for another meal). Cantaloupe and/or fruit smoothies are our evening snack/desert of choice.


I inadvertently discovered these plans of action/tips/recipes in my search for employment as a result of creating an opportunity with a local doctor/friend. A result of this learning opportunity was the discovery of three simple e-books on goal setting, smoothies and weight loss, as well as a more involved program on habit busting. All things that can be found on the internet for someone ambitious enough and willing to try some trial & error research. If your curious, check out the free goal setting book at www.paylessforproducts.com where all of these are also available.


Please read responsibly. I am not a doctor and I have no special qualifications related to the information that I provide in my blogs. I am however a devoted father who is concerned about the health, welfare and future of his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment