Monday, April 5, 2010

Weight... Until Easter is Over!

Weight loss and holidays don’t mix! Holidays are difficult enough when you have four young children, but when your goal is a healthier diet it can be especially challenging if there is a birthday involved and you add travel to the mix. Easter weekend, a trip to the Wisconsin Dells, dinner at my Sister-in-Laws and my oldest daughters birthday... Spells stress for my wife and I.


As I mentioned in my last post, one of my youngest has PWS and controlling her weight is a daily challenge. Although she knows she can not have all the delicious foods, candies, treats and drinks that many enjoy without a second thought, it does not stop the hunger, craving and want for it (she’s only six). Routines and control are typically the focus of the day and have helped considerably in weight management, but when you are out of your comfort zone it becomes quite a task.


Although we did well during our travel, it all came crashing down due to traditions. Coloring eggs was just the beginning and weight gain was inevitable! Easter candy at church, hard boiled eggs for eating after the fun of coloring them and then the big blow... Easter dinner with a wide selection of tasty dishes and treats at my Sister-In-Laws, complete with large chocolate rabbits on display from their kids morning spoils and pre-dinner appetizers. Top that off with a birthday celebration for recent past, present and near future birthdays, including my daughters which was a day away. More weight, I mean cake tomorrow!


Chalk it all up to a day of “splurging”. Even God took a day off! Don’t we all need something we can look forward to? The day we can eat anything we want, drink anything we want and relax without the weight of the world crashing down upon us, telling us how we should live, look and what our weight should be.


With my daughter it is all about rewards and limits. Focusing on proper diet is easier when there is an incentive. For my daughter, because of her insatiable appetite, food is the incentive (sprinkled with common sense). Many weight plans include a scheduled day of splurging or fattening rewards for goals achieved. As long as it works!


Please read responsibly. I am not a doctor and I have no special qualifications related to the information that I provide in my blogs. I am however a devoted father who is concerned about the health, welfare and future of his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment