Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Taco Bell-ch

http://terrysnotebook.blogspot.com/
It takes a lot to surprise me these days, and when I saw that Taco Bell was being sued for their potential stretch in using the word beef for something that might not qualify... Well, I thought that to be somewhat humorous, especially since I prefer the chicken products and since I have been playing with fast food for a few months on my other Blog.  It seemed humorous, until I read the full story and then checked out the ingredients page for Taco Bell products.
What first caught my eye was the "anti-dusting agent" and "maltodextrin". Hmmmmm? Of course, we all know that there are a lot of chemicals, compounds and additives going into our foods, especially into our fast foods in order to improve taste, maintain quality and preserve them for long periods of time... You did know that, didn't you?  It seems that the anti-dusting agent and maltodextrin were not the worse things that I would find in my research.


Part of the chemistry experiment that gives us Taco Bell's "Seasoned Ground Beef" includes "fiber" for our diet, in the way of silicon dioxide.  Ok, perhaps my technical understanding of the use of silicon dioxide is too limited to understand the use and safety of this chemical compound that is commonly found in nature as sand or quartz. AND, is more commonly used in the production of glass and optical "fiber"! LOL  Seriously! Check it out at this link.  
Check out the ingredients for yourself at this Taco Bell link.  
As I said at the beginning, I thought this to be humorous because I prefer the chicken products from Taco Bell... Until I read that silicon dioxide was also used in the chicken products, rice, chilli and others, but no more than 2%... Is it just me, or does 2% seem like a lot? 
I will say this for Taco Bell, they have a very detailed list of ingredients and are quite possibly more forth coming and up front than most fast food chains.  They might not be required to list all of these ingredients because of the FDA’s GRAS policy (generally recognized as safe).  A policy that is over my head!

One thing that is not over my head, is the growing trend toward creating the best tasting food that is not necessarily good for you. Looking at labels and understanding ingredients is important for my family because my daughter has Prader-Willi Syndrome.  We are the lucky ones, forced to be health conscious and we have discovered a great company to help us. Shaklee is committed to providing natural nutrition and green cleaning products, plus so much more. Over 80,000 quality tests annually, with a history of over 50 years of helping families.

Isn't it time you took a, run... from the border, and started thinking, outside the... restaurant?

Terry Guinn, A Healthier You Too
Treat your family to the quality products they deserve. Shaklee products are always safealways work, and are always green. If you would like more information about Shaklee products, please contact me, Terry Guinn, Shaklee Independent Distributor, through my website at  www.ahealthieryoutoo.com or if you would like to checkout the products for yourself, go to my Shaklee page at  www.ahealthieryoutoo.myshaklee.com 


Shakleebaby & Shakleekids


No comments:

Post a Comment