Friday, October 1, 2010

Hand-Me-Downs, Grandpa's Old Genes

DNA... That's so 90's.  Today the real science is in Epigenetics which brings new meaning to the "sins of the father" bible reference.  
Sometimes I wonder if I am getting in way over my head when it comes to trying to understand the human body and more specifically, the differences in individuals with Prader-Willi Syndrome.  In my latest adventure I stumbled across something called epigenetics.  To give you a simple explanation of what is involved... Would be impossible!  "Our lifestyles and environment can change the way our genes are expressed, leading even identical twins to become distinct as they age."
Who cares, right?  The science and understanding has great potential for many things, including controlling weight... So I care... For my daughter.  And you should care for your children's children's children. There is great potential for good... And bad.  
What is really interesting is how my great, great, great grandfather/mother could have doomed my life through their lifestyle (inherited traits?).  It is no wonder we continue to face more and more issues with each new generation.   What is even more interesting is that there is potential to change that through gene expression manipulation or as one scientist described it, through "gene diplomacy" (I guess one could also compare it to prayer for forgiveness).  
A better understanding can be gained through this easy to follow and understand video at Nova/ScienceNow/Epigenetics .  If you want to view a few others on the potential and advancements in epigenetics, check out the Johns Hopkins Medicine Youtube channel and look for the videos on epigenetics by Andy Feinberg.  The John Hopkins channel is also a great resource for staying up to date on many things in the medical field and they are easy to understand.  
You might wonder why I think it is so important to be more knowledgeable on the bodies chemistry and composition. Well, in a word... Oversight!  Doctors have too much control over our lives because we don't understand how to care for ourselves properly when trouble arises.  I like to ask questions to avoid mistakes that are typically due to a miscommunication.  As an example: My relationship with my daughters endocrinologist has gotten much better in recent months. Not through his improved bedside manner, but  because of my increased understanding.  He was trying to communicate with my wife and I on too high a level and lacked the patience to take the time to try and explain things. 
I want to gain every advantage for my daughter as she struggles with Prader-Willi Syndrome. That is one of the main reasons I became a Shaklee Independent Distributor and use their products. All of their natural ingredients are put through a rigorous testing process before they are accepted for use.  When most Companies would and have continued production of products that have "acceptable levels" of toxic or foreign materials in ingredients, Shaklee would and has discontinued products due to inferior natural ingredients.  In 1998 Shaklee discontinued their very popular Panex Ginseng for over a year and a half because of inferior ingredients.   
For more information on healthy home products and natural nutrition from the #1 Natural Nutrition Company in the U. S., please visit my website http://www.ahealthieryoutoo.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment