Monday, December 20, 2010

Digging Deep for Christmas Joy

There is less than 100 hours until Christmas... Ho, ho, ho my goodness me!  

With unemployment consistently high, foreclosures on the rise, lots of retirement funds depleted or nonexistent and health insurance an unhealthy choice for many because of the costs...  Many are wondering, where is the joy in the holiday season?  

My family has been hit hard this year by the current economic conditions and is going to be affected especially hard this Christmas.

There won't be dozens of toys & gifts under the Christmas tree. The refrigerator won't be stocked with lots of treats & goodies. It isn't even likely that we will be able to continue a family tradition of going to a movie on Christmas day.  We may have to spend family time at home and give thanks for what we do have. How will we ever survive??? And we aren't the only ones! Too many people I know are already cutting  corners so tight they don't even know where the corner is anymore.  

It is the same everywhere. People are stressing over christmas gifts, almost as if it were a competition or compensation.  Will they think I'm cheap, will they like someone else's gift better than mine or, did I get them enough gifts? Even the christmas cards can get out of hand.  Family photos are big and many go to professionals to get the perfect shot. Then they worry about leaving someone out in the mailing.  My family photo attempt is posted above, with little cooperation from the twins... Don't tell my wife I posted it for the world to see!  

Take a deep breath!  Stress and worry are very unhealthy activities and could lead to complications during the holidays.  Consider what you have and remember that there are many people out there struggling, who may not have a place to stay on Christmas.  Many more families than in past years are in temporary living conditions, weather that be in shelters, with friends, or with family... And those are the lucky ones.  

Consider wrapping a special gift and placing it under your tree... For a struggling family or an organization that cares for those in need. Discuss this with your family as a part of your gift exchange and give thanks for how fortunate you are.  

While you think about those in need, please keep my family in your prayers.  If you need or know of anyone in need of healthy home, natural nutrition or any of the many high quality products that Shaklee has to offer, please keep me in mind.  Between part-time work and my role as a Shaklee Independent Distributor, this is how I support my family.  A Healthier You Too - Shaklee Distributor Products Page

My family is fortunate to have a roof over our heads and a special needs child who has taught us the real meaning of family, joy and celebration.  Most couldn't imagine a life with a special needs child. My seven year old daughter has Prader-Willi Syndrome, and I couldn't imagine my life without her. 

I wish you all real joy and happiness during the holidays and all year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment